How to Take the LET in Saudi Arabia

After I finished my Professional Teaching Certificate at UPOU, I knew that sooner or later I was going to take the Licensure Examination for Teachers (LET). After a few online searches I found out that there was a Special Professional Licensure Board Examination (SPLBE) here in the Middle East. And so I began preparing for my LET journey. After I finished my Professional Teaching Certificate at UPOU, I knew that sooner or later I was going to take the Licensure Examination for Teachers (LET). After a few online searches I found out that there was a Special Professional Licensure Board Examination (SPLBE) here in the Middle East. And so I began preparing for my LET journey.

Reviewing for the LET

When I first saw the Table of Specifications for the LET exam, I was blown away. There was no way I could cram all that information in just a few months. So I set out to look for an online review center and enlisted the help of an old friend and co-teacher to help me refresh my Math skills.

I eventually found MyReviewCoach by Mind Gym. MyReviewCoach is the online branch of Mind Gym, a reputable review center in Metro Manila. They have 90% passing rate from past LETs and have a history of churning out LET Topnotchers. They upload reviewers and plenty of test drills so that their subscribers can practice as much as they want. I also bought an additional test booklet from Mind Gym.

Truth be told, I wasn’t able to complete all the test drills because of my busy schedule as a full-time teacher. I seriously underestimated my teaching load this year. But I did use the reviewers a lot and I believe that it really helped me prepare for the LET. It certainly narrowed down the topics I needed to learn and save me the hassle of researching and filtering out important details. The reviewers were succinct. I definitely recommend MindGym’s MyReviewCoach.

Applying for the SPLBE LET Exam

I first inquired at the Embassy regarding the SPLBE and was referred to a representative at POLO, Sir Eli. I was informed that I should apply online through the PRC website, fill out the application form and complete the documents required:

• Photocopy of Transcript of Records (with or without scanned picture and remarks “For Board Examination Purposes Only”)
  • Photocopy of Valid Passport
  • Four (4) passport-size pictures with complete name-tag in white background

I submitted my documents to him around June. The SPLBE is usually scheduled during the Hajj holidays, so that left me with roughly 3 months to review. Around August, I was contacted by Ms. Mendoza from the Filipino Teachers Association in Saudi Arabia to inform me that my application was approved.

Test Application Fee

Ms. Mendoza told me that I needed to prepare for the final checking of documents by PRC delegates a few days before the exam. She also informed me of the Exam fee of 45 USD and the incidental fee of 250 SR to pay for the costs that the Filipino Organizations will incur for the actual exam venue, proctors and other materials.

I paid the 40 USD Exam fee and 5 USD bank fee through my husband’s AlRajhi Tahweel Account. Then I went to the Embassy on the assigned day to finalize my application. When I arrived at the Embassy, there were numbered tables and we had to go through each step of payment verification and document checking. After going through all the steps I was given my Exam Permit or Notice of Admission (NOA). After that I paid FTASA the incidental fee. Before I left the hall, I was given a clear plastic envelope and a brown envelope with a pencil, a copy of the exam schedule, table of specification, Examinee’s ID and a Lunch Food stub.

Recap of Total Costs:
150 SAR or 40 USD – Exam Fee to be deposited  to PRC’s bank account
18.75 SAR or 5 USD – Bank fee (Philippines)
18 SAR – Al Rajhi remittance fee
15 SAR – ID Photo Printing
250 SAR- Incidental Fee (SPLBE logistics)
451.75 SAR TOTAL

Taking the SPLBE LET

There were 20 LET examinees from Riyadh and we took the LET last September 25, 2015. We were instructed to not bring phones and bags but there were plenty of people who did. The proctors just asked us to turn the phones off and place the bags in front of the class.

The exam was three-part for Secondary Level Examinees, so it took us the whole day to finish the exam. There were breaks in between and I got to use my Lunch food stub. I also chewed on the same gum flavor that I used while reviewing.

Overall, I felt I did okay but not well enough to actually top the LET. I was confident enough with General Education and my Specialization but was a little confused by some questions on the Professional Ed part. All those theories can be confusing sometimes. I went home around 5pm.

Advice for would-be LETers

• Come prepared. Don’t forget your Notice of Admission (NOA) Slip. You will need it during the exam and later to verify your ratings.
  • Bring 2 pencils with eraser, 1 black pen, a clear envelope and a brown envelope. They will take the brown envelope and return the clear envelope to you.
  • I was a little sad to see that some of the examinees didn’t even bring a calculator, while some brought a non-scientific calculator. You can find a list of allowable non-programmable calculators on their website. I  used my Casio ES991 calculator.
  • Bring your reviewer. We had plenty of time before and in between tests to review. I really regret not bringing my reviewer. I know it says on the PRC memo that reviewers, cellphones and bags are prohibited but, as I said earlier, your proctor will ask everyone to place their bags in front of the room away from you during the test. Just don’t be tempted to sneak in a cheat sheet because that will disqualify you from taking the test. Turn off your phone and reset all alarms. Phones are a big no-no.
  • Answer the questionnaire first, then transfer your answers one by one to the answer sheet. Use your time wisely.

The Results

Waiting was never my strong point, but what’s the point of agonizing about something that I can’t machinate to move faster? Every once in a while people from school would ask me about the result which added to the anxiety. What if I failed!? Everyone seemed so confident about it. We were told to expect the results around October 26 but the SPLBE LET results were released on November 5. I breathed a sigh of relief when I was told that I passed. My supervisors at the school were all pleased, and Hubby was so happy for me that he even joked about getting a tarpaulin printed. lol.

I was alarmed though that only 20 elementary teachers out of 65 examinees (30.77%) and 37 secondary teachers out of 109 examinees (33.94%) successfully passed the LET. People seem to think that the LET is easy but the numbers say otherwise. While there are many factors to consider, I think some of the examinees failed because they underestimated the exam and didn’t prepare enough for the LET. Like I said, some didn’t even bring calculators and we needed that to answer math questions quickly.

For now, I am just happy that I passed and my ratings were not bad. I’m a Board Passer! Yay! I am now officially, Teacher III. Alhamdulillah for Allah’s blessings upon me and the people he chose to help me. Special Thanks to Ma’am Joana for helping me with my Math refresher and to my Hubby for the tireless support.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

40 thoughts on “How to Take the LET in Saudi Arabia”

1. Rio says:

Hi Teacher Shei. I finished Certificate for Professional Teaching at New Era University (online). What is the Course Code you chose for your course at UPOU when you applied for NOA at PRC? Is the course code “Graduate Certificate in Teaching” the same with “Certificate for Professional Teaching”? My specialization is Mathematics and I wish to take the LET in Riyadh next year. Thank you.

1. Teacher Shei says:

I used “Certificate for Professional Teaching”. Please join the FTASA group page on FB so that you’ll be update when the next SPLBE registration opens.

1. hello mam…Can I join the FTASA group/ because I need some updates about filling and processing a documents for SPLE-LET this year (2019).

Please visit this site: https://online.prc.gov.ph/
          Contact our PRC Coordinator Ms. Mary Grace, sya din po yung admin ng Filipino Teachers Association in Saudi Arabia (FTASA) group on Facebook. You may join the group, pero hindi po ako admin dun so I can’t approve join requests.

2. Norhanna mamalagon batua says:

HELLO how to file the let examination here in Saudi?

Please visit this site: https://online.prc.gov.ph/

2. Sittienor Esmayaten says:

sallam teacher sei??? can you please help me by answering few questions if you just dont mind..??
    what particular place here in saudi did you took your board exam?? i mean where will I go, whAT university??/

1. Teacher Shei says:

Hello Sittienor, I took the Special Philippine Licensure Board Exam here in Riyadh. The location of the actual test site varies each year, but it’s usually held at Philippine Schools like International Philippine School in Riyadh or Elite International School.

3. michelle says:

hi teacher shei.. i want to take my LET exam din sana kaso wala akong mapagtanungan paano. it’s been 8 years after my last exam. dito na kasi ako sa saudi nagstay with my husband. ano una kung dapat gawin? i guess getting my TOR in philippines first gaya ng na mentioned mo .

1. Teacher Shei says:

Hello, Michelle. I’m sorry for the delayed response. Please join the FTASA groupon Facebook. The admin, Ms. Mary Grace, is our point person with PRC.

1. Franklin says:

Hi teacher, How to apply LET here in Riyadh?

1. Teacher Shei says:

Please visit the Facebook Page: “Filipino Teachers Association in Saudi Arabia” for updates on the SPLE this year.

4. Reese says:

i am about to take the exam this September 2017 (medical)…Normally, PRC will inform examinees when to expect the results to be released?

1. Teacher Shei says:

Yes, they will. It depends on the volume of examinees. During my time, it took 2-3 months.

5. Zyhan says:

Congrats ma’am shei for passing the licensure examination….
    Alhamdulillah…..

Thank you so much po!

6. lyka says:

Hello teacher Shei,
    I was about to search the FTASA in Facebook but i couldn’t see it. Did the page name changed? Thanks

1. Teacher Shei says:

Please search for: “Filipino Teachers Association in Saudi Arabia”

7. Rutchel says:

Hello tcher gusto ko sa magfile ng let exam.i’m here in jeddah
    Paano po magfile?
    Ano po yong mga requiremest?

1. Teacher Shei says:

Please read the article, all pertinent info is included po. You can also visit the Facebook Page: “Filipino Teachers Association in Saudi Arabia” for updates on the SPLE this year.

2. wyne says:

hi rutchel im from jeddah also and i want to take exam here in jeddah. nkapag apply kna po ba? hi teacher shei thanks a lot for upload this statement it really helps and inspired a lot for us who also be a license teacher. me i know what group in fb should i add? for some inquiry.
      thanks a lot again mr rutchel and teache shei

Please visit this site: https://online.prc.gov.ph/

8. Jhane says:

Hi Teacher Shei,

I graduated Post Baccalaureate degree in Teacher’s Education back in 2000, I am planning to take the LET next year is there any refresher course here in Riyadh? and where to get reviewers?

1. Teacher Shei says:

Unfortunately, there aren’t any “DepEd-aligned” refreshers but you can try MindGym’s online review center. Link to their website is in the article.

9. Reymart says:

Teacher shei, I have question. Ahmmp they still have examination in March or only in August?

1. Teacher Shei says:

Sa Saudi po, September lang po ang SPLBE, usually natataon during Eid Al-Adha vacation.

10. Omirah h.halil says:

Teacher shei kailan po ang susunod na let exam at ano po mga requirements para makaattend

Please visit this site: https://online.prc.gov.ph/

11. Good Day Sir/Ma`am,

I just wanna know when and where the exact date in filling the requirements for LET examination. Im here now in Saudi Arabia and I want to take LET because I want to continue my teaching profession. So please help me and give me some information about the filling of requirements. Hope for your kind consideration. Thank you so much.

Please visit this site: https://online.prc.gov.ph/

12. Norodin M. Macmod says:

Congrats Maam Shei!
    Im so Inspired

Thank you!

13. Pina Karon says:

Ma’am I want to take a exam but what is the website

Please visit this site: https://online.prc.gov.ph/

14. Irene Bagongon says:

Hi hello …I am happy to hear about the good news…I wish I can take also the LET exam in Saudi Arabia…anybody can help me? I’m in al Mubaraz dammam Saudi Arabia…my work is a domestic helper..I don’t know how and where to go to fill…I dont know what to do…hopefully somebody can help me that has a good heart that makes my dream come true…so that when I come back in Philippines our country i can apply …as possible I dont want to waste my time because I want to be with my family…there’s no place like home…Godbless

Please visit this site: https://online.prc.gov.ph/

15. EDDIE L. DAMIREZ Jr says:

Hi mam shie can i join your group? Im here in jeddah, for asking question lang po

1. EDDIE L. DAMIREZ Jr says:

Ma’am shei gusto ko po ksing mag review for the Let meron po ba dto sa Jeddah?

1. Teacher Shei says:

I’m sorry, I’m not aware of any reviews available locally. I reviewed online using MyReviewCoach by MindGym.
        But do check with the local PH schools sa Jeddah if they are offering LET Reviews.

2. Teacher Shei says:

You can request to join sa mismong group. I’m not an admin sa group so I don’t have access to membership.